Monday, May 4, 2009

Italian Tortellini Soup

I had a meeting over my lunch hour today, and it ran longer than scheduled. I'm one of those low-blood-sugar types who have to eat every few hours or bad things happen. So I waited too long to eat lunch, and then ended up with a headache I couldn't recover from.

My personality also couldn't recover. Anyone who knows me know that when Alyssa's hungry, ain't nobody gonna be happy.

What's that? Why yes, I AM an editor. Why do you ask? (I writeth as I speaketh. But not at worketh.)

Anyway, I attempted to play through the pain this afternoon, but it wasn't working. So I went home, had some juice and crackers, and slept until the hubby came home. And woke up feeling like a new woman. And a nice one, too.

And a hungry one, although I wanted something a bit lighter, and something quick that would require minimal effort. Because I had big plans for the evening: watching baseball, and attempting to figure out the source of the mystery water in our basement.

So I raided the pantry and the freezer to come up with this soup, which hit the spot perfectly. And now I'm ready for another nap.

Italian Tortellini Soup
Serves 4-6

1 lb. lean ground beef or Italian sausage
Salt, pepper, garlic salt, and onion salt
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
4 c. beef broth
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 c. fresh, frozen, or dried cheese tortellini
Additional salt and pepper, to taste

1. Heat a pot over medium-high heat. Brown hamburger, seasoning with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and onion salt.

2. Add tomatoes, broth, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.

3. Lower heat to medium and add tortellini. Cook until tortellini are cooked through, about 7 minutes.


1 comment:

uno said...

I really like to eat. especially the food. I will try to make at home. thank you, your articles are very helpful