Friday, May 22, 2009

Cool and Creamy Peanut Butter Pie

The hubby and I were in sick bay this week, but we're feeling better and getting ready to head out of town for the weekend. The first stop is to see my parents, and my brother and his girlfriend.

Whenever we visit family, we fall into the position of food providers for the weekend. I don't think anyone expects this of us; we've just always kind of done it. My theory is that I get so crabby when I'm hungry that the hubby wants to be sure we have full control over the food situation. We need to make sure that there is always something readily available for me to eat, or Very Bad Things happen.

Tonight, we'll be grilling with my dad and brother. We're doing the basics -- some grilled steak, beans, hot dogs, etc. -- but I wanted to throw together something for dessert, as well. I've only got a few hours this afternoon, so there's not a lot of time to bake something that requires cooling before it's packed up. Instead, I'll make something that starts off nice and cool.

I found this pie recipe in an old Taste of Home Quick Cooking magazine many moons ago. I used to make the pie on a very regular basis during the summer, but it somehow fell off the rotation. And I have no idea why, because it's really, really yummy. And simple. It's a great make-ahead dessert, and if you want to use a ready-made crust from the store, you don't even have to turn on the oven.

I'm not a huge fan of the ready-made crusts, so I made my own using the crust recipe from my fudge truffle cheesecake. I pressed the crust into a 9-inch pie plate and baked it at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Cool and Creamy Peanut Butter Pie
Serves 8

1 chocolate crumb crust (storebought or homemade)
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. whipped topping
10 regular-sized peanut butter cups, divided

1. Prepare and cool crust, if making your own.

2. In a stand mixer or by hand, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add peanut butter and mix thoroughly.

3. Fold in whipped topping.

4. Chop 5 peanut butter cups and fold into mixture.

5. Spoon mixture into crust. Chop remaining peanut butter cups and sprinkle over the top.

This is actually only 4 peanut butter cups sprinkled on top. I have NO idea where the fifth went.

6. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.

2 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my face...yum! We often lose peanut butter cup's in this house, too...hmmm, sneaky little buggers.

Poppyseed Capers said...

oooooooohhhhhh my goodness. What a plateful of love!