Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Chile, Cheese, and Bacon Quesadillas

I still consider myself a relative newcomer to this whole blogging thing, and I really enjoy getting new visitors to my blog. I feel like I've been operating in a bubble, because I'm just now starting to learn more about the vast community of food bloggers out there.

And I just wanted to say a quick thank you to those of you who take the time to read my rambling thoughts and leave kind comments (and give me awards, like girlichef!). I can't wait to read more of your own blogs. I'm already sucked in to so many of the recipes with their purty pictures.

Speaking of awards -- again, bubble -- do I pass those on to others? Anybody know? Bueller? Bueller? I eagerly await instructions.

In the meantime, quesadillas! I love them, and I fill them with everything, from my favorite I'm-home-sick-with-a-cold quesadillas (chicken, pepperjack, chile, and lime) to pizza quesadillas (pepperoni, cheese, and Italian seasoning, dipped in pizza sauce).

I also like stumbling upon more unique cominations. The hubby's favorite is a roasted potato and black bean concoction, which I almost made tonight, until he told me he's anti-quesadilla these days. (I think it's sympathy food aversions. He's very sweet.) So I made one of my favorite quesadillas, instead.

I found the idea for this recipe when I first started cooking, and it was either from Pillsbury or Betty Crocker, which was all I was brave enough to attempt at the time. And I've served these at countless parties since. You can't go wrong with quesadillas for a crowd, and if they've got bacon in them, all the better.

Note that I've always cooked my quesadillas in a dry skillet, sans fat, and I've never had a problem getting them cooked to perfection (it seems like an easy way to cut out some fat). But if you prefer to cook them in some oil or spread butter on the outsides, be my guest.

Chile, Cheese, and Bacon Quesadillas
Serves 4

4 8-9" flour tortillas
8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp
1 4-oz. can chopped green chiles
1 2.25-oz can sliced black olives
2 c. sharp cheddar cheese
Salsa, for dipping (optional)

1. Preheat a dry, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.

2. Lay tortillas flat on a work surface. Top half of each tortilla with strips of bacon, crumbled, some green chiles and black olives (to taste), and about 1/2 c. cheese.

3. Fold tortillas over. Cook about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy.

4. Slice into wedges before serving.

4 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Bueller? Bueller? HA HA HA...I guess you can tell when we grew up!! Hoarde it, pass it on...it's up to you. If you find some blogs that you'd like to pass it on to, then yes, do it! Or hold it for a while and pass it on later. It's your award, do what you want to with it :)

Quesedillas are a favorite in our house, too!! These sound fabulous...potatoes w/ chorizo are one of our faves!

Michele said...

YUM! Looks fabulous! You know, i never make quesadillas even though I love them. I'll have to get on that quickly!

Anonymous said...

i'm a big fan of the roasted potato and black bean quesadilla, too. (though just about anything that the angel cooks is delicious.) hope you make that one again soon to share it with all your fans. if hubby won't eat them, i'll volunteer!

--D

Spryte said...

YUM!!!