Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rosemary Chicken Marinara

I still have fresh rosemary left over from my marinated mozzarella, and I relish using up any fresh herbs – especially in the winter, when I don’t have pots of them sitting on my deck.

This sauce is an adaptation of a Giada De Laurentiis recipe. I prefer to use my own marinara, but you can also use your favorite jarred marinara, and whip this up in no time. (Or make your marinara ahead of time and freeze it.)

The recipe also uses shallots which, if you’re not familiar, are kind of like a cross between garlic and an onion. But if you substitute garlic and onion for the shallot, it’s not the same flavor. (I've tried.) If you can get your mitts on some shallots for this recipe, it’s worth it. (They’ve been available for years in my little supermarket in Fargo.)

I can’t even describe how much I love this sauce. Every time I make it, I think it can’t possibly be as good as I remember. Then I taste it and think I'm amazing all over again. It's like a special occasion when we have this meal. The hubby and I even ate at the dining room table. With PLACEMATS. We's fancy.

Rosemary Chicken Marinara
Serves 4

2 Tbsp. olive oil
1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
Salt and pepper
½ c. shallots, minced (about 3 medium shallots)
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced (about 2 cloves)
2/3 c. dry white wine
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
3½ c. marinara sauce
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
Additional salt, to taste
1 lb. linguine (or other long pasta), cooked according to package directions

1. Heat oil in a pot over medium to medium-high heat. Add chicken. Season with salt and pepper and cook until golden, about 10 minutes.

2. Add shallots and garlic. Saute until tender, about 2 minutes.

3. Add the wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom.

4. Add rosemary and mix well.

5. Add marinara and crushed red pepper flakes, and bring sauce to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Add more salt as necessary.

6. Serve over cooked linguine.

No comments: