Sunday, January 18, 2009

Marinated Mozzarella

The hubby and I have had a bit of a strange weekend, with an even stranger week coming up. We’ve got a few medical procedures going on, and I’ll be out of commission for part of the week. Out of commission in that I can’t be up and around cooking, but I’ll still be awake and hungry on the couch.

So we’re trying to make a few meals ahead, and also provide plenty of snack options for me. (We have to keep me fed. The hubby’s convinced I have two sides, Jekyll and Hyde. When I’m hungry, the Evil Pook Bear makes her appearance.)

One of the snacks that I prepared this morning is marinated mozzarella, which is one of my favorite recipes ever. (Yes, EVER.) This is based on a Taste of Home recipe, which I found years ago, and I’ve made it dozens of times. For myself. For parties. For friends. For friends’ parties. It’s so simple and yummy, and yet makes an incredibly elegant appetizer.

And lord knows, if it’s good enough for me to nosh on while lounging in my jammies on the couch, it should be good enough for your next dinner party.

Marinated Mozzarella
Makes 16-20 appetizer servings

1 lb. mozzarella cheese, cut in 1” cubes
7 oz. roasted red peppers, drained and chopped (about 3-4 peppers)
6 sprigs fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. extra-virgin olive oil (you can substitute vegetable oil for half the olive oil)
2 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
¼-½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

1. In a jar, storage container, resealable bag, or other airtight container, layer 1/3 the cheese, peppers, thyme and garlic.

2. Repeat layers twice more.

3. In a small bowl, combine oil, rosemary, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Poor over the cheese.

4. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, turning container every few hours.

5. Remove from refrigerator a half-hour before serving. Serve with crackers and bread cubes.

No comments: