This is another quick side dish/dessert that's great with a holiday meal. I've been served variations of this Jell-O salad at church functions and such over the years, and it's always been a favorite because of the contrast of the tart strawberries, the rich and sweet cream cheese layer, and the salty pretzels.
This recipe does test my patience, however, because of all the waiting in between layers. I tend to sort of make everything at once so it can all cool at the same time.
Also, try to make this salad as physically close to the refrigerator as possible.
Has Much Red Jell-O on Floor
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
Makes 12-16 servings
2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
2 1/2 cups cold water, divided
6 ounces strawberry-flavored gelatin
2 cups frozen sliced strawberries, thawed and drained
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spread pretzels evenly in bottom of 9" by 13" baking dish.
3. In a small bowl, combine butter and 2 tablespoons sugar. Pour evenly over pretzels.
4. Bake pretzel crust 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
5. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, whipped topping, and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth.
6. Spread evenly over pretzel crust.
7. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups cold water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add gelatin, stirring until completely dissolved. Remove from heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup cold water and strawberries. Let cool before pouring over cream cheese layer.
8. Chill overnight. Cut into squares to serve.