Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ghirardelli Thumbprints

I found a recipe similar to this one in a Betty Crocker cookbook, and thought it would be the perfect use for one of my weaknesses: Dark chocolate and caramel Ghirardelli squares, preferably salted.

Alas, I could not find my salted caramel squares, so I had to add my own salt. Which wasn't exactly a hardship.

Alas alas, I also had to skip the nuts again. I didn't really miss them.

Alas alas alas, I should call these Square Peg Cookies. Unless you have square thumbs, candy squares don't fit so well in thumbprint cookies. So they don't look perfect. They're "artisan."

Ghirardelli Thumbprints
Makes about 3 dozen cookies

3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup finely chopped cashews
9 Ghirardelli squares with caramel filling, unwrapped and cut in quarters

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Beat butter and powdered sugar until creamy. Add vanilla and egg and beat until mixed. Beat in flour, baking powder, and salt, until dough forms.

I loved how silky the dough was with the powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar. That's all. Thanks for letting me share.

3. Stir in cashews. (Again, I skipped this part.)

4. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheets, at least 2 inches apart.

5. Press thumb in the center of each cookie to make an indentation, but don't push all the way to the bottom.

6. Bake 7-9 minutes. Quickly remake the indentations with the handle of a wooden spoon, if necessary.

I found this necessary. I also didn't think to use a wooden spoon, so I used to my thumb. Not my finest moment.

7. Move cookies to cooling rack, and add one piece of chocolate to each thumbprint. Let stand 3 minutes to melt.

8. If desired, use the tip of a knife to swirl the melted chocolate and caramel together. Sprinkle with sea salt.

No comments: