Food Network magazine ran a feature about grilled cheese sandwiches earlier this year, and one version they listed was actually a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich using sourdough bread.
Well hey, since they threw bacon in there, we had to tried it. So we tried the recipe as printed. And then the hubby suggested a few changes. So we tried it again. And then the hubby suggested a few changes. (Recipe critique and improvement is his specialty.) And then we had ... the hubby's perfect grilled cheese. (Mine is the hubby's version, minus the dressing.) We should totally take this sandwich on the national grilled cheese competition circuit.
The Hubby's Ultimate Grilled Cheese
Makes 4 sandwiches
8 strips thick-cut bacon
2 tablespoons butter, plus more, as needed
8 slices sourdough bread
12 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
12 thin slices of tomato
4 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing
A few dashes of crushed red pepper flakes
1. Cook bacon until crisp, and drain on paper towels.
2. Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add slice of bread and top with 3 ounces cheese, 2 strips bacon, and 3 tomato slices.
3. Spread 1 tablespoon dressing on a bread slice and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes. Press on top of the sandwich, dressing side down.
4. Cook until cheese melts and bread is golden, about 3-4 minutes per side.
5. Repeat for other sandwiches, adding more butter, as needed.