Thursday, November 10, 2011

Fudgy No-Bake Cookies

These no-bake cookies are a long-standing favorite in the hubby's family, and I remember my mom making them when we were younger, too. This is my mother-in-law's recipe, which we eat most frequently when my sister-in-law, Patti, makes them for us.

We really appreciate that. We're not usually the people to whom others bring food, so when they do, we're thrilled. (Like two days after we returned home from the hospital with the little man, and Patti brought over pans of bars and tins of these cookies.) And she's surprised us with them from time to time since then.

This was my first attempt at making these cookies. I think I need a little more practice.

Fudgy No-Bake Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal

1. Combine sugar, shortening, cocoa, and milk in a saucepan. Stir together over medium-low to medium heat, until mixture begins to boil. Let mixture continue at a low boil for 4 minutes, without stirring.

2. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and oatmeal.

3. Scoop teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper.

The hubby says I should have heaped the cookies more. I'm such a noob.

4. Let set before serving.

No comments: