Sunday, July 5, 2009

Watermelon-Butter Lettuce Salad

It was a beautiful Fourth of July here in North Dakota. We typically have any combination of hot, muggy, buggy, windy, and rainy, so the fact that it was just hot was impressive in itself. It was great grilling weather, and great firework-lightin' weather. And we did plenty of both.

Best of all, barely anyone got hurt! Our only casualty was Mom. She got a skinned knee and a bump on the head while chasing down parachutes in the ditch. Yes, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that one ...

We all chipped in on supper. My brother Cory shucked the corn. It was a first for him.

The hubby made his famous spicy grilled potatoes, although he was mean and refused to face the camera.

Cory kept an eye on the steaks.

While Dad kept an eye on Cory. And the camera.

I made a Cuisine at Home salad of watermelon and butter lettuce. This was before I discovered that only Mom and I eat watermelon. Who knew?

Mom ate the leftover watermelon. (WHERE does she put it?)

Of course, she also made me a birthday cake for dessert.

My tummy was full.

Full of steak, cake, and baby.

The End.

Watermelon-Butter Lettuce Salad
Serves 4-6

1/4 c. fresh lime juice
3 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
2 Tbsp. olive oil
3 c. watermelon, preferably seedless, chopped
8 Bibb lettuce leaves, torn

1. Combine lime juice, honey, mint, and olive oil in a small bowl.

2. Just before serving, combine watermelon and lettuce in a large bowl. Toss with dressing until thoroughly coated.

No comments: