Thursday, July 30, 2009

Crash Hot Potatoes

When we had supper with my family over the weekend, we also needed potatoes (Dad is very much a meat and potatoes type). The hubby usually makes his much-loved spicy grilled potatoes, but he was already manning the Weber grill down in the yard, and I didn't want him to have to run back and forth between that and the gas grill up on the deck.

Safety first, that's me.

So I made this recipe that I've been drooling over for months. I first saw it on the Pioneer Woman's site, and have since seen it on cooking shows and in several magazines. Apparently it's the latest thing with potatoes.

I used to the Pioneer Woman's recipe, because I was too tired to search through my cookbooks yesterday. The Internet is a lazy girl's best friend.

The potatoes were a hit, although I had to bake mine for quite a bit longer (and eventually use the broiler on low) to get them to crisp up on top. The results were very yummy. I highly recommend these as a side dish to just about anything.

Crash Hot Potatoes
Serves 6

18 new potatoes, well scrubbed
2-3 Tbsp. olive oil, for drizzling on pan
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
About 1/4 c. olive oil, for brushing potatoes
2 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary, or other herbs

1. Add potatoes to a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until fork-tender, about 30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees.

3. Drizzle a sheet pan with olive oil. Place potatoes on sheet pan. Using a potato masher, gently push down on each potato until it's slightly mashed. Rotate the masher 90 degrees and do it again.

4. Brush the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with plenty of salt and pepper. Top with rosemary.

5. Bake about 25 minutes or so until golden brown. (And use the broiler with caution, if necessary.)

4 comments:

MJS said...

Aaaahh! I couldn't remember where I saw these or what they were called but was totally craving them. So thanks!

DandeLion Soup said...

I love these potatoes and I've made them a few times. Each time, friends and family just love them. I've sprinkled the top with parmesan cheese at times also. This is definitely a recipe worth keeping :)

Judy said...

Don't know what I'd do with the internet -- great recipes out there all for the taking. These potatoes look delicious, and I'll be trying this out soon.

Spryte said...

I LOVE these!!!