Saturday, December 6, 2008

Shrimp Scampi

The hubby once told me how much he enjoyed ordering shrimp scampi when we went out, and I always take that sort of comment as a challenge to learn how to make a dish at home. It didn’t look like it would be too difficult. Garlic, wine, lots of butter … and shrimp.

I don’t like shrimp. I realize it goes against foodie ways to swear off a food entirely, but I. Don’t. Like. Shrimp. I apologize. It’s a texture thing. (You wouldn’t believe how many people try to change my mind on this. That just makes me not like it even more.)

Anyway, I did some research and came up with what I think is the perfect shrimp scampi for the hubby. And then, because even a great wife has her limits, I made him help me make it. Because I didn’t want to be the only one in the house who knew how to make a dish that I didn’t want to eat. Selfish, huh?

We had a fun time experimenting with the recipe. I had never cooked with shrimp before; the hubby had never minced garlic or used my pretty, shiny saute pan. And at one point, he started pulling individual hairs from my head. Because my recipe called for angel hair.

The hubby declared the scampi to be wonderful, and now he makes this dish on a regular basis, and for family and friends.

And what do I do while the hubby is enjoying his delectable shrimp scampi? Sometimes, like tonight, I eat something else. But I also worked on creating an equally delicious chicken scampi recipe, which I shall post the next time I make it.

Shrimp Scampi
Serves 3-4

10 oz. angel hair (cappellini)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. minced onion (optional)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1½ lbs. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
½ c. white wine
3 Tbsp. fresh minced parsley or 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4 oz. butter
Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.

We proudly support our local Dakota Growers. When they make the shapes we want. (The hubby loves product placement.)

2. Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in a saute pan. Add onion and saute 1-2 minutes; add garlic and saute 1 minute.

3. Add shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes, or until shrimp is pink.

4. Add remaining ingredients and cook until butter is melted and sauce is slightly reduced.

5. Serve over pasta.

No comments: