Sunday, December 14, 2008

Shredded Beef Tacos

I’m a big fan of shredded meat, especially beef, and also of my slow cookers. You’ve probably gathered that by now. Because I hope to spend a big chunk of time doing some holiday baking today, I think it’s time to break out another shredded beef slow cooker meal. And this is another of my favorites, by a long shot.

I invented this recipe – if you can call it that – one day when we had multiple sets of company stopping by at different times, and I wanted to try and repurpose my food. Also, my house was too messy for me to spend much time in the kitchen. So I threw a roast in the crockpot and added a few quick ingredients that I thought might be yummy. Lo and behold, when our first guests stopped by, we had mini tostadas with a variety of salsas, and when my brother and his girlfriend stopped by for supper, we had shredded beef soft tacos.

This filling is incredibly versatile – use it in tacos, nachos, enchiladas, burritos, quesadillas, anything you like. Add rice. Add beans. The hubby and I aren’t always good at eating our leftovers (we like to cook too much), but I’d be thrilled to have a container of this sitting in my fridge at all times. I can eat leftover tacos like nobody’s business.

Shredded Beef Tacos
Serves 6-8

1 2-3 lb. beef roast
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 pkg. spicy taco seasoning (you can use regular, if you prefer; I think the only difference is crushed red pepper flakes)
2 beef bouillon cubes
1½ Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1½ tsp. lime juice
Tortillas or taco shells and toppings

1. Place roast in slow cooker. Pour tomato sauce over roast, and sprinkle with taco seasoning, bouillon, Worcestershire, and lime juice.

Doesn’t look like much, does it?

2. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, or until roast is tender.

3. Remove roast from slow cooker and shred meat with two forks.

4. Return to slow cooker and combine with juices. Serve with taco shells and preferred toppings. Such as lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, salsa, and olives.

No comments: