Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Creamy Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes

Laura at Hey What's For Dinner Mom? has a weekly food photo contest that I've been thinking about entering for a few weeks, but I don't think my photos are up to snuff. It seems like everyone else's look cookbook quality, whereas mine look suspiciously like they were taken by a rank amateur in a windowless kitchen. (What a coincidence!)

I'm looking for good food photography tips. Is it my point-and-shoot camera? Is it the lack of natural light in my house? Is it my eagerness to just get to the eatin', already? Please pass on any secrets.

But I digress. I've been meaning to post this recipe for a few days, but I got sleepy. Really, that's not just a pathetic excuse. I can't even go shopping for wrapping paper for 15 minutes without turning into a zombie.

So anyway, these are the potatoes that the hubby and I made over the weekend. The hubby wanted some sort of restaurant-quality, garlicky smashed red potatoes, and I saw this, which is a Neely's recipe. The potatoes were very easy to make (no peeling!), and were easily some of the best garlic smashed potatoes I've had.

Creamy Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Serves 6-8

1 head garlic
Olive oil, for drizzling
2 lbs. red potatoes, scrubbed and cut in large chunks
5 Tbsp. butter
3/4 c. cream
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

2. Slice off the top of the head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil.

3. Wrap in foil. Place on a sheet tray and bake about 35 minutes. Let cool.

Weird. It looks so alien.

4. Remove the cloves and mash with a wooden spoon.

5. Place potatoes in a large pot filled with water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender and drain. Smash the potatoes to the desired consistency.

6. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter, cream, roasted garlic, and some salt and pepper over medium-low heat until butter melts.

7. Add the cream mixture to the potatoes and mash together. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, and serve hot.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I??? I like your photos! Some bloggers use a lightbox and you can google directions for those. I use a crappy push here dummy camera on it's last legs and a 70 year old door to photograph in front of...my method, works for me, I like my door :)

Laura said...

oh and enter! who cares if you win or not it's more of a look who's cooking what sort of thing, OK with prizes and voting thrown in.

Heather S-G said...

I love garlic smashes taters! Another of my all-time favorite comfort foods. Heck, I just love roasted garlic...shmeared on crusty bread...oh my, I need some now. Thanks for that ;) And yes, enter!

Palidor said...

Eh? I think your photos look great! When I look at them, they are in focus and the lighting is perfect.

This is how I love potatoes - with butter, cream and LOTS of garlic. :) And I agree that you should enter.

Christina said...

I made this the other night and loved it! Roasted garlic is so delicious!

Anonymous said...

what kind of cream?