Sunday, January 11, 2009

Snickerdoodles

The hubby and I had a busy weekend away at the ranch, and now that we’re back home, I’m catching up on some work. My computer is taking its time pondering whether to install new software, however, so I whipped up a batch of cookies while it has been thinking.

I deserve cookies when I’m working hard. Plus, there’s a blizzard warning out for tonight and tomorrow. We might need that extra fat layer to stay warm.

Hahahahahaha. I find this amusing. We already have so many layers that we're like a couple of onions. But I digress.

I made snickerdoodles, even though they have no chocolate, and I’m terribly addicted to chocolate cookies. But I do so love my snickerdoodles. If you’ve never had a snickerdoodle, it’s a type of sugar cookie that is rolled in cinnamon and sugar before it's baked, so the cookie gets a kind of crackle-top appearance. The cookies are flat and soft and chewy and magnificent.

Snickerdoodles
Makes about 30-36

1½ c. sugar
1 c. butter-flavored shortening
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
2¾-3 c. flour

Topping
½ c. sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (I’ve been asked to implicitly state that after you preheat the oven, you should actually leave it on for the duration of your cookie-baking endeavor. Apparently this has been a problem area for some. I appreciate the feedback.)

2. Combine sugar, shortening, eggs, milk, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until well blended. Add cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt, and combine. Stir in flour. (Start with 2¾ c. and add remaining ¼ c. if dough is too sticky.)

3. In a small bowl, combine ½ c. sugar and cinnamon.

4. Form dough into balls – about a heaping tablespoon each – and roll in sugar/cinnamon mixture.

5. Place dough on cookie sheets and flatten slightly with a fork.

6. Bake 7-8 minutes, and let cookies rest on hot cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before moving to cooling racks.

No comments: