Thursday, October 27, 2011

World's Cutest Little Ghost Cupcakes

Underneath it all, these are just basic chocolate cupcakes -- nothing outstanding. But these have got to be the cutest little Halloween treats that I've ever seen in my life. I saw these guys in Food Network magazine, and immediately wanted to make them for the little man to bring to daycare.

Because really, who better to appreciate my epicurean efforts than a passel of 2- and 3-year-olds?

What you need:
  • Frosted cupcakes
  • Small lollipops, unwrapped
  • Cornstarch
  • White fondant
  • Rolling pin
  • 4" round cookie cutter
  • Black decorator gel
1. Prepare your cupcakes. I just made a basic two dozen, from a box. With (gasp), canned frosting. In little black and orange Halloween liners.

2. Place a lollipop in the top of each cupcake. I used Dum Dum pops, and they worked well.

3. Sprinkle work surface with cornstarch. Role out fondant to less than 1/8" thick.

I used storebought fondant, too. But you can certainly make your own, if you're a glutton for punishment.

Just kidding. I don't think it's that difficult. It's just time-consuming. And most people don't have that much time left to be consumed.

4. Using a 4" round cutter, cut fondant into circles.

I searched the house high and low for something that would work as a 4" round cookie cutter. After running out of luck in the kitchen, I used a clean decorative vase. My edges were a bit more jagged, but it worked.

Also, you can reroll the fondant scraps just as you would cookie dough. Just be sure to keep your work surface well covered with cornstarch in between.

5. Drape the fondant over the top of the lollipop. Shape the fondant into some creases and folds.

This was fun. And no two were alike.

6. Using the decorator gel, add some ghostly eyes.

See? Cute as can be. And be sure to make lots of friends, so they don't get lonely.

"Bridgette, you look amazing! Is that sateen?"

No comments: