Saturday, October 8, 2011

Mom's Frosting

I'm sure I've mentioned a time or six before that I'm not a fan of traditional frosting, which leads me to be not a fan of most cakes. But cakes are also kind of the norm for birthday celebrations these days, and every year, my mom asks me what kind of cake I want.

My request is simple: Cold yellow cake with whipped cream frosting.

But I think this request is too simple for my mom, who suffers from the feeling that she's not doing anything special for her favorite child. So every year, she adds a twists. (These are often excellent twists, like the year she found a way to distribute tiny morsels of cream cheese throughout my cake.)

This year, she topped my cake with a whipped creamy/cream cheesy frosting that was absolutely perfect. It's now my frosting of choice for any cake or cupcake, especially because it's so quick and easy to throw together.

Mom's Frosting
Makes enough for 1 cake or 24 cupcakes (with some to spare)

1 8-ounce container frozen whipped topping, thawed (I use fat-free Cool Whip)
1 8-ounce container whipped cream cheese
1/4 cup powdered sugar, plus 1 tablespoon, or more to taste


1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl.

2. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, mix ingredients until thoroughly combined and to desired consistency.

3. Top cake or cupcakes as desired. (Guess whose birthday these were for?)

No comments: