Thursday, June 25, 2009

Marinated Beef Kabobs

The hubby and I have been home only one evening in the past week, so needless to say, we haven't been doing much cooking. And when we have been home, I've had to sit back and put my feet up. Apparently pregnancy, hot temps, and 94% humidity do not a good combination make. From the knees down, I look like Barney Rubble.

OK, maybe it's the neck down.

I do, however, have another recipe from the weekend that I hadn't yet had time to post. My brother Cory helped me put these together for my dad, who loves steak and potatoes and kabobs. So I threw together a marinade first thing in the morning, and Cory helped me get everything else prepared for the kabobs, and then grill them. In the rain. With no barbecue utensils.

We German/Swedes are a hardy lot. We cope.

Marinated Beef Kabobs
Serves 6

2 lbs. beef sirloin, fat trimmed, cubed
4 tsp. steak seasoning (preferably Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick)

Marinade
1/2 c. dry red wine
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. fresh choppped rosemary
1 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves

Refrigerated potato wedges, preferably rosemary- and garlic-seasoned
Fresh vegetables (we used 2 peppers, 1 large red onion, and 2 zucchini)
Olive oil
Kosher salt
Fresh black pepper

1. Toss the steak with the steak seasoning and place in a large dish. Combine the marinade ingredients and pour over the top of the steak. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and let sit in the refrigerator for 4 to 8 hours.

2. Chop the veggies into bite-sized pieces. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then mix everything up with your hands to make sure all the veggies are coated.

I made Cory do this for me. He even washed his hands.

3. Thread the steak, potatoes, and veggies onto skewers. (If you're using wood skewers, be sure to soak them in water for a half-hour beforehand.)

4. Grill over medium heat, until cooked to desired doneness, about 10-12 minutes.

Mom even ate one with her portabello salad! O, happy day.

1 comment:

Heather S-G said...

Gorgeous kabobs!! I bet you feel a bit miserable in the humidity...but ya know, Barney Rubble was pretty adorable...and plenty loveable ;)