Monday, June 15, 2009

Beer-Marinated Steak Sandwiches

The hubby and I both love a good steak sammich, and the marinade for this recipe has been tempting me since the first time I saw it in a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It's a combination of dark beer, steak sauce, garlic, mustard, yadda, yadda, yadda. Lots of good stuff. AND topped with smoked cheese.

I ran home during lunch today to throw this together, and I couldn't get over how fabulous the marinade smelled. I assume the flavor can differ greatly, depending on which type of steak sauce you use. The hubby and I have always been A-1 types (Bold & Spicy, although I used regular A-1 because a half-cup of Bold & Spicy did indeed seem rather bold). The taste of the steak sauce really came through, so be sure to use one of your favorites.

For the beer, I used an imported stout, which I also managed to spray all over myself when I first opened it.

Ain't nothin' classier than a visibly pregnant woman who comes back from lunch reeking of strong beer.

All in all the hubby and I were very impressed with these sandwiches (although we'll choose a chewier bread next time). They taste like something you'd get in a pub, alongside a nice, cold brew.

Suggested pairings: Coke Zero, cran-apple juice. We're currently a dry household. Baby doesn't like cold brews.

Beer-Marinated Steak Sandwiches
Serves 4

Marinade
3/4 c. stout (dark beer)
1/2 c. steak sauce
2 Tbsp. stone-ground mustard
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
Several dashes hot pepper sauce

1 1/4 lbs. steak
1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1 green bell pepper, cut in thin strips
4 chewy rolls
4 oz. thinly sliced smoked cheddar cheese

1. Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl. Set aside 2 Tbsp. and reserve in refrigerator.

2. Trim fat from steaks and score both sides in a diagonal pattern.

This means to make shallow cuts across the surface of the meat, so the marinade gets in there better. Basically, cut lines about 1" apart across the steak, and then back again in the other direction.

3. Pour marinade over steak and let sit, refrigerated, 4-8 hours.

4. Grill steak to desired doneness, about 10-20 minutes. Let sit about five minutes before slicing into thin strips.

5. Meanwhile, cook onions and peppers over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet. When peppers soften and onions begin to caramelize, add reserved marinade. Cook 1-2 minutes longer.

The recipe said to grill these in foil packets, but I don't have much luck with foil packets. I burn that which I cannot see.

6. Slice rolls, and add steak, veggies, and cheese.

7. Fervently wish sandwiches were easier to photograph because man, this doesn't do it justice. But I was too hungry to keep trying.

3 comments:

Heather S-G said...

me likey! And I know...sammiches are not very cooperative when getting their pictures taken...pfft. :P

Jenn M-K said...

Seriously, my mouth watered reading the recipe. Wow.

Spryte said...

I think I actually drooled a little reading the marinade ingredients in the first paragraph!!!