Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mocha-Toffee Chocolate Cookies

What a busy week and weekend. I thought we had all the time in the world to cook this weekend, and I had grandiose (yes, grandiose!) visions of what I would make. Homemade donuts? Spinach-stuffed pizza? The world was my oyster.

But friends and family ended up visiting this weekend, so we’ve been eating out a lot. We have yet to do any actual cooking. It’s hell being popular; everybody wants a piece of us, ya know?

Actually, we’re not popular. This was purely coincidence.

It’s nice enough outside today that the hubby is grilling steaks for supper, and I’m making chipotle-cheddar mashed potatoes. But in the meantime, we seriously need some cookies.

According to my mom, “cookie” was my first word. And “C is for Cookie” was my first record. My sister and I had this little portable record player that came in a red-striped suitcase, and we’d haul it out and listen to “C is for Cookie,” and then “Thriller.” We liked to mix it up.

My point being, I prefer to have cookies around me. Constantly.

So for all you other little cookie monsters out there, give these delectable chocolate cookies a try. This is a modified version of an old Pillsbury recipe. It starts with a boxed cake mix, and the additions of chocolate-covered toffee chips and mocha flavor make it outstanding. You can use instant coffee as a substitute for the mocha mix (I think that’s what the original recipe called for), but I think the tamer mocha is the perfect pairing.

Mocha-Toffee Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 2½ dozen

4 tsp. instant mocha drink mix
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 butter recipe chocolate boxed cake mix
½ c. butter, softened
2 eggs, at room temperature
½ c. chocolate-coffered toffee chips (such as Heath or Skor)
1¼ c. semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a small bowl, combine mocha mix and vanilla.

3. In a large mixing bowl, combine mocha mixture, cake mix, butter, and eggs. Combine until a soft dough forms. (It will be pretty goopy.)

4. Stir in chips, preferably by hand.

5. Form dough into balls and flatten slightly.

6. Place on baking sheets and bake 8-10 minutes. Let cool before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got the recipe for these cookies from Alyssa a couple of years ago, and they are always a big hit. Best Cookies EVAR.

D