Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Jumbo Butterscotch-Oatmeal Muffins

These muffins, by far my most requested, are a tender and chewy concoction of butterscotch and toffee in an oatmeal-buttermilk batter. I make these pretty frequently to bring to work, and I always run out quickly.

One coworker calls these “the two-napkin” muffins, because they’re so nice and sticky that just one napkin won’t do the job. Another says she needs a nap after she's eaten one.

Those are compliments, no?

I first devised these muffins when a friend asked if I could create a muffin with butterscotch and oatmeal. I did some online researched and pulled together components from a few different recipes, and threw in some of my own. Like toffee. Toffee + muffins = happy.

As always, for more muffin tips ‘n’ tricks, see the Jumbo Apple-Walnut Muffins post.

It’s kind of funny that these are my most popular muffins, and I’ve yet to actually try one. I don’t like butterscotch. But I’m a people-pleaser. So I make them, anyway.

The next time I make muffins, I’ll include the Hubbyfied/Angelfied version of these for People Who Don’t Like Butterscotch. We should form a club.

Jumbo Butterscotch-Oatmeal Muffins
Makes 9-10 muffins

2 c. quick oats
1 2/3 c. low-fat buttermilk
¾ c. brown sugar
¼ c. granulated sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
½ c. butter (1 stick), melted and cooled
1 c. flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1½ c. butterscotch chips
½ c. toffee bits (not chocolate-covered), plus more for sprinkling

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, combine oats and sugars. Pour buttermilk over mixture, stir to combine, and let sit 5 minutes.

The buttermilk softens the oats and gives the batter a wonderful tangy flavor.

3. In a small bowl, combine eggs and vanilla. Poor cooled butter into egg mixture and combine. Pour butter and egg mixture into oat mixture, and stir to combine.

4. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour flour mixture into oat mixture. Stir until just combined.

There are a lot of mixtures involved here.

5. Add butterscotch chips and toffee bits, stirring gently.

6. Place muffin liners in jumbo muffin tins, and fill about ¾ full. Sprinkle with additional toffee.

7. Bake about 20 minutes, or until golden. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pans, then let cool on racks.

No comments: