Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Steak Quesadillas with Barbecued Black Beans

I love Thanksgiving as much as the next person, but for a few days beforehand, I like to eat foods that are as far from Thanksgiving fare as possible. (I’ll be getting my monthly quota of gravy on Thursday afternoon, thank you very much. ) I don’t grow as weary of leftovers that way.

I really had nothing in mind for supper this evening, although I knew the hubby left a steak in the fridge. Because I dropped it on my foot this morning. But I got increasingly hungry for quesadillas as the day grew on. I’m the quesadilla queen; I can put anything in a tortilla with melty cheese and it will be great.

I did a quick marinade for the steak and hurried out to grill it in the dark. Then I threw on some black beans to stew for a bit to make a sort of barbecued black bean topping for the quesadillas. I could have put them directly in the tortillas, but that would have been messy. And I’m quite dainty, you know.

Steak Quesadillas with Barbecued Black Beans
Serves 4-6

1 lb. steak

Marinade
2 Tbsp. lime juice
¼ c. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. Worcestshire sauce
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

Beans
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
¼ c. chicken broth
½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. chipotle Tabasco
1 tsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. barbecue sauce

4-6 10” flour tortillas
Pepperjack or three-pepper cheese, shredded

1. Combine marinade ingredients and pour over steak. Let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Grill until steak is cooked to medium, about 15 minutes. Let steak rest about 5 minutes.

2. Add beans to small saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients and stir. Let simmer about 10 minutes, or until beans are slightly thickened. (You can also cook your beans in a pot on the grill, alongside the steak. Rumor has it that the beans don’t burn on the grill.)

3. Cut steak in small, thin pieces. Add steak to half the tortilla and top with cheese.

Fold empty side of tortilla over.

4. Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Cook the quesadilla on both sides until toasted.

5. Cut each quesadilla in four wedges and serve with black beans.

No comments: