Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Peanut Blossoms

Peanut blossoms have been a favorite of mine since I was a kid – there was just something exciting about nibbling the edges of the cookie to get to the chocolate star or Hershey’s kiss in the middle. (I’ve always been easily amused.) But the cookie part was always secondary to the chocolate.

Enter these peanut blossoms, which several people have mentioned are the best they’ve ever tasted. (Thank you, thankyouverymuch.) The cookie definitely holds its own. The secret? They’re flourless. Just as a flourless cake is much more dense and rich than its flour-filled counterpart, these cookies have fabulous flavor and texture.

You can use chocolate stars, Hershey’s kisses, peanut butter cups, or pretty much any candy in the center. I prefer the kisses. Especially the green ones. They taste the best.

I think I just found my new screensaver.

You can also use Splenda for baking and sugar-free Hershey’s kisses, if you’re baking for a diabetic. (I made these for my grandpa earlier this year with great results.)

Now hold on to your hats, ladies and gentlemen. This is a pretty complex recipe.

Peanut Blossoms
Makes 24

1 c. peanut butter (I highly recommend Skippy creamy style)
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
24 Hershey’s kisses, unwrapped, chocolate stars, or other candies (I love recipes that specify to unwrap the candy)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine peanut butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix thoroughly.

3. Divide dough into 24 pieces and roll into balls. (It will look very sticky, but trust me, it’ll roll.)

4. Place dough on a baking sheet and bake 10-12 minutes.

5. Let cool about 2-3 minutes, then press candies into the middle of the cookies.

6. Let sit on pan about 7-8 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made these this week. Fabulous. Easy. Divine. Nearly gone.