Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Roasted Autumn Vegetables

I'm back! Or at least, I hope to be. The short delay I'd intended with my blogging turned into more of an indefinite leave of absence as the hubby and I have been adjusting to our new schedules. As I mentioned many, many moons ago, we bought our local newspaper and now find ourselves working nearly four full-time jobs between the two of us. A few things had to give in the schedule, like blogging. And cleaning.

But not cooking. In fact, I find myself cooking as much now as I ever have. A big part of that is because I write a weekly food column in the paper, so I'm constantly testing new recipes, or remaking favorites with new, newspaper-friendly photos.

But I do miss blogging, and I'm hoping to get back to it, although maybe not as often as I did before. And probably with fewer step-by-step photos. And I promised my fellow publishers that I'd put any new recipes in print, first -- although I'm not sure if my column is that hot a commodity!

I'll start by attempting to backfill some of the recipes I've worked on the past several months, so some of them might seem a bit out of order or out of season. And then once I catch up, hopefully things will get back to normal!

I'll start with Roasted Autumn Vegetables, which might not sound terribly exciting, but is a healthy and tasty side dish that's especially great around the holiday season. This dish is simple and colorful, and pretty hand-off.



Notes:
  • Swap in other root vegetables or change the quanitites according to your preferences.
  • If you double the recipe, put the vegetables on two pans and rotate them halfway through the cooking process.
  • Leftovers taste great in soup. Saute some shallot (or a little onion and garlic), add broth, and then add leftover vegetables and cooked tortellini. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
Roasted Autumn Vegetables
Makes 6 servings
  • 1/2 pound baby carrots, halved
  • 1 medium red onion, cut in 16 wedges and separated
  • 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut in 1-inch chunks
  • 1 large sweet potato or yam, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks
  • 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut in 1-inch pieces
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried (rubbed) sage
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray large jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Place vegetables in pan. Pour oil over vegetables. Sprinkle with seasonings and stir to coat.
  3. Bake 35-45 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

No comments: