Saturday, April 7, 2012

Cadbury Mini Egg Cookies

Ham is a staple at any and all of our family's gatherings for Easter. I have 101 uses for leftover ham, but Easter candy is trickier. I could just hang onto it, especially if I clear out the leftover Halloween candy. Or I could put it to good use so that I’m not still sprinkling cupcakes and ice cream with pastel-colored eggs come September.
Luckily, Easter has my favorite candy of any holiday (and I celebrate many a candy holiday). Cadbury Mini Eggs are one of my ultimate weaknesses, and they’re showcased wonderfully in these cookies.
Chopping the eggs is an arduous process. You could also put them in a bag and smash them, although you might lose some of the pretty shells. You could also substitute M&Ms, chocolate chips or any other similar candy that you have on hand.
Now, does anyone have any good recipes for a bunch of half-eaten chocolate bunnies?

Cadbury Mini Egg Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen


½ cup butter-flavored shortening
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons baking cocoa
2½ cups flour
1 10-ounce bag Cadbury Mini Eggs
½ cup milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Chop Mini Eggs in halves or thirds, or bang on them in a resealable bag until they’re crumbled.

I feel strongly about preserving the integrity of my Mini Eggs, so I’m a chopper. Although I have to eat every third egg just to keep up my strength.
3. Cream together the shortening, butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla, and combine.
4. Stir in baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder, and then stir in flour. Gently fold in candies and chocolate chips.

5. Drop heaping teaspoonfuls of dough onto cookie sheets and gently shape the cookies.



6.
Bake 8-10 minutes and cool on cooling racks.

No comments: