Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Broiled Italian Sandwiches

I work from home a few days a week, and now that we live in the same town where the hubby works, he comes home for lunch some days, as well. We've been cooking more, so we typically have a lot of leftovers, which I try to use creatively. (Chili omelet, anyone?)

But some days, I just get a hankering for something different, like a really good, hot sandwich. (Hence the idea for the recent pizza sandwiches.) Bread has been an obstacle for me, but I recently stumbled upon some lovely take 'n' bake ciabatta rolls. Along with some leftovers from the fridge, this sandwich was born.

Again, I apologize for the simplicity of this not-quite-a-recipe posting. But then I take back that apology, because this IS so simple and tasty. And it's just an idea -- swap out meats, cheeses, and veggies. Use your favorite dressing or none at all. Add some kettle chips or a cup of soup, and you've got a lunch to rival anything your local bistro or sandwich shop could serve.

I'm just guessing, of course. We don't have bistros in these parts.

Broiled Italian Sandwiches
Per sandwich (I have a hearty appetite, so I eat two):

Ciabatta roll
2-3 slices salami
1 slice fresh mozzarella cheese
1-2 thin slices tomato
Shredded lettuce
Italian dressing

1. Preheat broiler on low.

2. For each sandwich, slice your roll, place it on a baking sheet, and top bottom of roll with salami and cheese.

3. Get back to work. Preheating the oven takes far longer than the food prep here.

4. Broil sandwiches until cheese melts, about 3-4 minutes.

Stick close by, because broiled food can go from good to ugly in about 10 seconds. Like wingmen, you never, ever leave your broiler.

5. Remove sandwiches from oven, and top with tomatoes, lettuce, and a drizzle of dressing.

6. Add tops to rolls, and serve.

No comments: