Thursday, August 11, 2011

Open-Faced Italian Chicken Sandwiches

This super-quick, super-cheap, super-yummy dish shouldn't really count as a recipe, because it's so simple. And yet, it totally hits the spot. I saw the idea in a Betty Crocker cookbook, using turkey legs instead of chicken breasts, but I'm a white-meat kind of gal.

This chicken would make a great panini sandwich filling, as well. I think the key is garlic bread or Texas toast -- the garlicky flavor totally compliments the tomato sauce on the chicken.

And did I mention that you don't even have to thaw the chicken first? I throw my chicken breasts in straight from the freezer. The chicken is supposed to cook for eight hours, but who's gone for work for exactly eight hours? I figure that using frozen chicken helps keep it from overcooking while I'm gone. It's not that I'm lazy. Really.

Open-Faced Italian Chicken Sandwiches
Serves 4-6

2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 6-oz. can Italian-style tomato paste
2 8-oz. cans Italian-style tomato sauce
½ c. water (more if needed)
½ tsp. dried Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
8 slices Texas toast, cooked according to package directions
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese


1. Combine chicken, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, and Italian seasoning in slow cooker. Cook on low 8 hours.

2. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred meat with two forks. Return to slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. You can also add more water to keep the chicken saucy. (I like a saucy chicken.)

3. Serve chicken on hot Texas toast and top with cheese.

No comments: