Saturday, April 24, 2010

Grilled Chicken Lo Mein

This recipe is one of those wonderful clean-out-the-fridge recipes. It's a great use for leftover chicken and whatever veggies are left in your veggie drawer. I threw on some teriyaki and sriracha-marinated chicken breasts when the hubby was grilling earlier in the week, in the hopes that I'd have a use for some cooked chicken.

Because the chicken is already cooked, this comes together very quickly for a weeknight meal. I used instant Asian noodles that were ready in about 3 minutes, making it even faster.

And speaking of leftovers, like all pasta, this doesn't reheat terribly well. Am I the only one who has that problem?

Grilled Chicken Lo Mein
Serves 4

1/2 c. chicken broth
6 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. rice vinegar
1/2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. sriracha
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. canola oil
3-4 c. fresh chopped veggies (broccoli, onion, carrots, mushrooms, peppers, etc.)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, cooked and cut in thin strips
8 oz. Asian noodles or other pasta, cooked according to package directions


1. Combine chicken broth through cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside.

2. Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add veggies and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.

3. Add chicken and sauce mixture. Let mixture come to a boil, then reduce heat and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. (You still have to add the pasta, so you don't want this too thick.)

4. Stir in cooked pasta until everything is combined with the sauce.

6 comments:

Jessica - Real Food for Real Life said...

I am looking forward to trying this one. I'm always looking for quick week night meals and this is perfect as we slip into grilling season. Plus my boys love their veggies, so they will love this!

Carla and Michael said...

Your sauce for the Lo Mein sounds wonderful. This looks so pretty. You ordered out didn't you? (just teasing) ;D It really is a beautiful looking dish.

Anonymous said...

You had me at sriracha! While I am a Tabasco lover at heart, there is just some extra kick that sriracha gives dishes!

Although I learned the hard way that a LITTLE of that goes a LONG way - the first recipe I used I decided to add 2 tablespoons - I couldn't feel my mouth for two days!

mr. pineapple man said...

my favorite! thanks for sharing the recipe!

chicken and rice recipes said...

That 's good look.
I would really love to try this and definitely saving your recipe.

thank you so much .

:P

Unknown said...

Tried this recipe tonight and LOVED it! I bet it would also be great with shrimp.