Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Asian-Grilled Pork

Several years ago, the hubby and I were addicted these premarinated pork tenderloins that you could buy in the meat department. I think we ate them an average of once per week. But they became increasingly hard to find, and the price kept increasing, as well. It became difficult to justify the $8 per pound price tag when I figured I could make something similar at home.

Since then, I've been trying almost every Asian marinade I can get my hands on, hoping to find something as good or better. And I think this one comes as close as anything I've tried, but with some extra kick.

I actually just threw this marinade together at lunch today with no real plan in mind.

I like to marinate things at lunch. I get teased about it. Hey, everyone needs a hobby.

The marinade turned out great. It was very flavorful, and both sweet and a bit spicy. I'd recommend serving the pork with Asian Carrot and Cucumber Salad AND a starchier side dish, maybe some sort of veggie lo mein. I served just the pork and the salad, and as I was eating, I told the hubby I thought I'd still be hungry afterward. He said, "Yes, this is a nice little snack that you've prepared for us."

Thankfully, we still have some pie for dessert. I'm always thankful for pie.

Asian-Grilled Pork
Serves 2-3

1 lb. pork loin or tenderloin

Marinade
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp. ginger, minced or grated
1 tsp. sambal oelek
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. dark sesame oil

1. Trim pork and butterfly, if desired.

I like to butterfly my pork so it doesn't char on the outside before it's cooked through on the inside.

2. Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl and stir well.

3. Place pork in a resealable bag and add marinate. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

4. Grill over medium heat, basting with marinade the first few minutes.

5. Grill pork about 10-12 minutes, or until cooked to desired doneness. Let rest a few minutes before serving. (The pork, not you.)

5 comments:

Heather S-G said...

oh...luscious!! Grilled pork is awesome anyway, but with this marinade...ahhhhh. And that's cute, a nice little snack...tee hee.

Mrs Rad Wag said...

What is sambal oelek? And where do you find these exotic ingredients? :-)

angelinthekitchen said...

Sambal oelek is an Asian chile paste. It's cheap and comes in a big ol' plastic jar at Hornbacher's (or any local store).

I spend a lot of time ogling condiments in the international foods aisle. It's another hobby.

Spryte said...

Pork is my FAVORITE and I love your marinade... that's stuff I always have on hand!

theUngourmet said...

This looks like one I would most definitely love to try! :0)