Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Lemon and Spice Beef Kabobs

I've craving the Indian thing this week, so I came home tonight and decided to make some kabobs, the spice mixture for which is based on a Rachael Ray recipe. Kabobs? Kebabs? (Grey/gray? Doughnut/donut?) They're so simple, and they cook quickly, which is very important. The hubby and I invested in the MLB.com package this year, and time's a wastin'. My Tigers played at 6:00.

Yes, I'm from Fargo, and I'm a raging Detroit Tigers fan. It's a genetic flaw that's passed down in our family, like weak joints and tension headaches.

Actually, it's a cute story. When my dad was 5, the Yankees and Tigers were playing on TV. Everyone was a Yankees fan in those days, so my dad vowed -- in the way of 5-year-olds everywhere -- that if the Tigers won, they'd be his favorite team for FOREVER. The Tigers won, and my dad kept his vow. He even wrote to his favorite players (and has a signed photo of Rocky Colavito still hanging around somewhere).

When my sister and I were 5 and 4, Dad sat us down, had us choose our favorite players (Lance Parrish for her, Alan Trammell for me), and had us write letters. And we had little Tigers jerseys. And we'd cheer like mad whenever our team was on TV.

My dad's mom, Grandma Gladys, became a HUGE fan. She lived out in the boonies and couldn't get much for TV reception, but she listened to baseball on the radio all the time. My sister and my grandma were both buried with their Tigers hats, and I fully expect that when it's our time, me, my dad, and my brother all will be, too.

So yeah, we're fans.

And usually, I only get to watch my Tigers when they're playing the Twins, our "local" team. Until the hubby suggested we get the MLB.com package. Now I can watch them on my computer every day.

While eating kabobs, of course.

Lemon and Spice Beef Kabobs
Serves 4

4 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
1/2 Tbsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram (can substitute oregano)
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp. Montreal steak seasoning
1 lb. steak, cut in large chunks

1. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, and spices in a medium bowl. Add beef and stir until thoroughly coated. Let sit 15 minutes.

2. Thread beef onto skewers. Grill over medium heat about 10 minutes, turning frequently, until cooked to desired degree of doneness.

Or, if you're grilling indoors, you even (gasp!) skip the skewers, cook the beef chunks, and pretend you made kabobs and just pulled all the meat off.

Not that I'd do this. Just sayin'.

3. Serve with grilled vegetables and bread.

No comments: