Sunday, November 23, 2008

Steak and Pepper Fajitas

This dish is one that the hubby has been making for, well, longer than he’s known me. He cooked this on one of our first dates, and his technique has only improved since then. The steak and peppers are simmered with wine, lemon juice, and lime juice, which keeps the steak tender and flavorful.

I was busy elsewhere in the house while the hubby was cooking this evening (OK, so I was watching DVDs in the basement). I yelled up once to ensure that the hubby was appropriately photographing the event for my post, and then didn’t talk to him again until he brought me a plate.

And the camera.

Now, I’ve never actually cooked this dish myself. But I really had no idea about the magic it takes to pull these fajitas together. I never would have guessed what happens in my kitchen when I’m not there.

Steak and Pepper Fajitas
Serves 6

1 ¼ lbs. steak
Wok oil or vegetable
2 green bell peppers
Lemon juice
Lime juice
White wine
Pepperjack cheese
Flour tortillas (8”-10”)

1. Trim steak and cut in ¼”-½” slices. Stem and seed peppers, and cut in thin strips.

You know, small enough to fit in the palm of your hand.

2. Heat wok over medium heat. Add oil, and then add steak. Cover wok and cook until the steak is brown and tender, about 30 minutes.

Hop on the stove and give it a stir every once in a while.

3. Add peppers to pan.

4. Gather your wine, lemon juice, and lime juice.

Santa and the hubby prefer white Zinfandel, and they like the lemon and lime squeezers 'cause they're cute.

5. Add a few good splashes of wine (about ¼ c.) and a few splashes of lemon juice and lime juice (a few teaspoons). Cover and cook until peppers are tender, about 10 minutes. Add a few more splashes of lemon juice and lime juice while peppers are softening.

6. Meanwhile, heat your tortillas. Fetch your cheese from the fridge using whatever means necessary.

7. Slice cheese into thin strips. This may require the use of a very large knife.

8. Assemble.

Now really, eat, Santa. Eat. Nobody likes a skinny Santa.

Place heated tortilla on plate. Add a layer of beef and peppers, and top with slices of cheese.

9. Nuke in the microwave for about 15 seconds or so to make the cheese melty.

10. Ask the elves to clean the kitchen and relax with a big ol’ mug of caramel cocoa sipper.

And to all a good night!

No comments: