Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Herbed Cheese Twists

I love garlic bread with my pasta, but I get tired of the same old frozen stuff. I found this recipe in a Taste of Home cookbook and was dazzled by the pretty picture. So dazzled, in fact, that I misread the recipe and made these twice as large as they're supposed to be. (I'm not very good with instructions.) The hubby and I both agreed they're probably better this way.

The recipe is quite simple; the most challenging part is rolling out the dough. Especially if it's been sitting in your freezer too long. And while it takes 40 minutes for the twists to rise, that’s a great time to cook the rest of your meal. Or take a nap.

We were really impressed with these. The hubby and I each nibbled on a couple while we were waiting for the pasta to finish. They were the perfect accompaniment to our Zucchini-Beef Spaghetti. For a snack or appetizer, I’d like to make a version that includes pepperoni and is served with pizza sauce.

Herbed Cheese Twists
Makes 1 dozen

¼ c. butter, softened
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. dried basil
¼ tsp. dried marjoram
1 lb. frozen bread dough, thawed
¾ c. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
Sesame seeds

1. Preheat the oven to 375.

2. In a small bowl, combine butter, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and marjoram.

3. Roll out the dough in a 12” by 12” square.

I use the term “square” quite loosely. This was as close as I could get. I was hungry.

4. Carefully spread the herbed butter over dough, to within ½” of the edges. Sprinkle with cheese.

5. Fold dough in thirds, folding in first one side and then folding the other side over the top. Cut dough into 12 slices. Twist the bottom of each around, so twists resemble a figure-eight.


6. Place rolls on a baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm spot 40 minutes.

7. Brush tops of rolls with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.

No comments: