Monday, October 18, 2010

M&M Caramel Brownies

I have a confession. I'm addicted to buying seasonal candies. And not just candies that are around only for specific seasons, such as Cadbury Mini Eggs (the world's perfect food). I can't resist the allure of the Reese's peanut butter cups or the Hershey's kisses in all their foil-wrapped loveliness of rotating colors. (I'm convinced that green Hershey's kisses taste better than any other.)

So of course, when I saw the first bags of Halloween M&Ms on store shelves, I had to buy them. The last thing I need are little bowls of M&Ms lying around within reach, so I've been storing the bag in the cupboard, waiting for the perfect recipe, which turned out to be this: an ooey, gooey, ridiculously sweet adaptation of a Pillsbury recipe.

But as I was making the brownies, I discovered that M&M/Mars is taking advantage of those of us with seasonal candy addictions by offering not only Halloween M&Ms, but also autumn colors M&Ms. I expected orange, brown, and black, and ended up with red, gold, and brown. Whatever color your M&Ms, these brownies showcase them nicely.

In other news, I recently received this award from Merut of Eating with My Mouth Open.

Thanks, Merut! Stop by her refreshingly witty blog for a visit -- she's got lovely photos, and even lovelier recipes.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I must go buy my Halloween M&Ms.

M&M Caramel Brownies
Makes about 2 dozen

1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
1 cup evaporated milk, divided
35 caramels, unwrapped
1-1 1/2 c. M&Ms (miniatures or full-sized)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan with shortening.

As usual, I used cooking spray, which was too slippery for this batter. It was miserable. Do as I say, not as I do.

2. Mix cake mix, butter, and 2/3 cup evaporated milk until well blended. Spread half of mixture in pan and bake 15 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, heat caramels with remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk over low heat. Stir occasionally until caramels are melted.

4. Sprinkle 1/2 cup M&Ms over partially baked crust.

5. Pour caramel sauce over M&Ms. Although the M&Ms may appear to be drowning, resist the urge to rescue them. That caramel is hot.

6. Run fingers under cold water when you can't resist the urge to sample a caramel-covered M&M. Swear you won't include this in your blog post.

7. Drop remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over caramel mixture.

8. Sprinkle with remaining M&Ms and press in lightly.

9. Bake 20-24 minutes longer or until center is set. Cool completely before serving.

4 comments:

Faith said...

Oh my goodness!!! I need to make those noooow! Yum! I am all about the seasonal candies too. In fact I almost had a fit because I couldnt find the lovely caramel apple suckers that only come out at halloween. Luckily... four stores later I found them!

Anonymous said...

Public service announcement from Tracy on candy - I believe that seasonal candy is better is that it is fresher than regular candy.

I've never seen a slightly faded peanut butter egg, but peanut butter cups in the regular, truck stop world without enough turnover often get stale. The peanut butter turns the whole thing a different color.

Not that that stops me from eating them.

Danielle said...

Great idea! Caramel and brownies andd m&m's are a great combination.

Carol Lawrence And Stacy Toten said...

Yummy Sounds so good!