Saturday, March 6, 2010

Korean Tacos

In the past two weeks, the little man has had two ear infections, two nasty colds, bronchitis, pneumonia, and the worst teething episode in the history of mankind. (Not exaggerating.) It's still hard to talk about it. The pain is too fresh.

Did I mention he's passing a lot of this stuff on to me? think we're going to back off on teaching him to sit and focus on teaching him to politely cover his mouth when he coughs and sneezes. He's lucky he's cute.

Anyway, the little man and I were watching an episode of The Best Thing I Ever Ate on Food Network one day, and Adam Gertier mentioned these Korean taco-thingamajigs that he gets from a traveling taco truck. This made me long for both a traveling taco truck and a Korean taco, and I figured I could at least manage the latter.

I love bulgogi, so I used the sauce from my favorite bulgogi recipe, and topped the tacos with some cheater's kim chee. Spicy, sweet, and delicious!

Korean Tacos
Serves 4-6

1 1/4 lb. steak
1/3 c. soy sauce
¼ c. brown sugar
¼ c. rice wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 tsp. sambal oelek
1 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. cornstarch
8-10 small flour tortillas (about 6")
1 tsp. oil

Salt and pepper
2 c. coleslaw mix or shredded napa cabbage
1/2-1 tsp. sambal oelek
2 scallions, thinly sliced

1. Cut the steak in very small, thin slices, and marinate in 1/3 c. soy sauce for 1 hour.

2. Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, 2 Tbsp. soy sauce, ginger, garlic, toasted sesame oil, 2 tsp. sambal oelek, water, and cornstarch. And heat your tortillas.

3. Heat oil in a wok over high heat. Remove steak from soy sauce with a slotted spoon, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir-fry until brown, about 4 minutes.

4. Reduce heat to medium and add sauce mixture. Cook until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.

5. Combine coleslaw mix with sambal oelek, to taste. (Remember that the beef will be spicy, too.)

6. Top heated tortillas with beef, coleslaw mix, and scallions.

7 comments:

Carla and Michael said...

Ooooh, I saw that show too. Glad you tried it, so now I know I can give it a try. I always buy
"cheater" kimchee too. I'm too afraid to try and make it. But your taco's are talking to me, so I must give this a try. Thanks for the push ;) !!

Karen said...

These look really good. I saw them on the show, too. Good re-creation!

Laura said...

yum yum yum! how are you not 500 pounds? With all the goodies you fix I would not be healthy :)

Cathy said...

Love anything with sambal oelek..will give these a try this weekend.

Unknown said...

YUM! Great idea. thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say for Crock Pot Wednesday this week. Mister Linky is up and ready for your link. Thanks so much for joining me.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is really a fun idea and I'll bet it's delicious as well. This is my first visit to your blog and I really like what I found here. I'll be back often.

chow and chatter said...

oh poor lil guy teething is rough, wow love the tacos