Sunday, January 10, 2010

Beef and Broccoli

It's been an interesting week around the house. I returned to work full-time and the little man started daycare. So far, so good -- but holy hectic, Batman. I feel like I'm running around nonstop for at least 16 hours each day.

The little is happy with his setup. It's a very small daycare, but he seems to find the new surroundings terribly interesting. He sings in the car on the way there in the mornings, smiles and talks to his teachers, and thinks the other kids are fascinating. (Unless they cry or scream. Then they're just an-NOY-ing.) He gets to play with new toys and be involved in the daily activities (tummy time class, anyone?).

It makes for some stressful meal-planning, however, because I never know what I'll find when I pick him up in the afternoon -- happy baby, sleeping baby, or monster baby. Some evenings I might have an hour to prepare supper, and some evenings I finally make some scrambled eggs at 7. Needless to say, the hubby and I will be cooking ahead on the weekends for a while.

However, we did have another snowstorm this week. The roads were so awful that the hubby was sent home from work early (he works about 40 miles away). So while the hubby spent some quality Jack-baby time, I made some beef and broccoli. This is based on a recipe from Great American Recipes, which is a company that sends sample recipe cards in the mail, hoping you'll buy more. I don't, but I also can't help but flip through them, and I'm still looking for my favorite beef and broccoli recipe.

Surprisingly enough, this one might be it. Not too salty, saucy, or beefy, this stir-fry manages to be both light and very flavorful. And the pepper gives it just a bit of kick, especially if you use freshly ground.

Beef and Broccoli
Serves 3-4

1/4 c. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar (I'm assuming light works, as well)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
1 lb. sirloin, thinly sliced
1/2 medium onion, cut in bite-sized slices
1 medium head broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
Cooked rice, for serving

1. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, lemon juice, cornstarch, sugar, garlic, pepper, and ginger.

2. Heat 1/2 Tbsp. oil in a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and stir-fry until cooked.

3. Remove beef from pan.

4. Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add onion and broccoli and stir-fry about 3-4 minutes, or until veggies are crisp-tender.

5. Return beef to skillet. Reduce heat to medium and add sauce. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about two minutes.

6. Serve over rice.

3 comments:

monicajane said...

that looks delightful and delicious!

I'd add some red pepper flakes or chiles...

but that's me...I like heat!

yum

Jay W. said...

I've made almost this exact recipe a few times (the lastest just last week). I got it from some other online food blogger (sorry, I feel kind of dirty, but it's time to be honest: you're not the only one in my life).

It's really good, but Donna isn't a big white rice fan, so I usually make bamboo or cellophane noodles instead.

angelinthekitchen said...

Jay, you cheating bastard! :)