Thursday, August 13, 2009

Beef Souvlaki with Tzatziki

The hubby and I had an extra busy week, and yet we're still finding time to cook, and our house has never been cleaner.

I think we have elves. How else do you explain that on Tuesday night, I went to bed around 9:30, and when I woke up Wednesday morning, my shower had been cleaned, my toilet was scrubbed, my kitchen was sparkly, and all our floors were mopped?

OK, so it's entirely possible that this is my elf.

No, not the one on the right. Sophie would never scrub my toilet. Although she might consider drinking from it on occasion.

Yes, the hubby has been a cleaning machine. Did I mention he did all that after going to a two-hour class with me? A two-hour class on breastfeeding?

Yes, he's a saint. He deserves an award. Or at least some supper. So tonight I made some beef souvlaki skewers, because it was way too hot to cook indoors. This is an adaptation of a Cuisine at Home recipe. We substituted beef for the lamb, made several other adjustments, and then served our grilled meat and veggies on grilled pita bread and ate them like gyros.

And then the hubby bought me a Reese's peanut butter cup blizzard with chocolate ice cream. The End.

Beef Souvlaki with Tzatziki
Serves 4

Souvlaki
1 c. diced onion
1/2 c. dry red wine
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 lbs. beef, cut in 1" cubes
1 red bell pepper, cut in 1" cubes
1 red onion, cut in 1" pieces

Tzatziki
1 container nonfat Greek yogurt (typically 6-7 oz.)
1/2 c. seeded, minced cucumber
2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. chopped fresh mint
2 tsp. minced garlic
Salt and pepper

1. Combine onion, wine, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, oregano, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Add beef.

2. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight.

3. Heat grill between medium and medium-high. Thread beef, red pepper, and red onion on metal skewers or soaked wooden skewers.

4. Grill until beef is cooked to desired doneness, about 10 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, combine tzatziki ingredients in a small bowl.

6. Serve souvlaki dipped in tzatziki, or combine in pita bread and serve as gyros.

7 comments:

Poorni Pillai said...

Ooh, looks like creamy kebabs....god, I want some! Waaah!

Carla said...

This looks amazing! Can't wait to make it!

Judy said...

These look delicious, such a nice meal.

theUngourmet said...

Looks like the perfect dinner for a hot summer night (and the perfect dessert)!

We have a kitty and a dog named Sophie! :0)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you should have taken him to breastfeeding class years ago.

Palidor said...

Yum! I love Greek food, although I've never tried to make it at home.

And Sophie's adorable. So fluffy!

Spryte said...

Great hubby!! And Sophie is so pretty!!!

The souvlaki looks great too!!