Monday, July 27, 2009

Grilled Vegetable and Israeli Couscous Salad

Another recipe that we tossed together for our family birthday meal was a grilled veggie salad with Israeli couscous. My mom loves grilled veggies, and I thought the Israeli couscous would be an interesting touch; I like attempting to get my family members to try new foods.

I think Mom is still iffy on the concept of couscous. And the pronunciation. She kept calling it coosh-coosh.

I got the idea for this salad off the Tasty Kitchen site, although we had to make some modifications to the original recipe. I swapped in some different veggies, and it works far better to add the dressing (with less oil and more vinegar) to the dish afterward rather than marinating the veggies beforehand.

Grilled Vegetable and Israeli Couscous Salad
Serves 6-8

1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise
1 medium summer squash, quartered lengthwise
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
1/2 red onion, cut in thick slices
1 c. mushrooms, stemmed
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 oz. Israeli couscous
1 14 1/2-oz. can vegetable broth
1/3 c. balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, very finely minced
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. fresh basil, chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh parlsey, chopped
Additional salt and pepper, to taste

1. Toss vegetables with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

I was in a hurry, so I chopped my veggies before grilling them. (I have a large grill pan with very small holes, so this was an option.) The veggies are still easier to handle and less likely to overcook, however, if you cut them in large pieces and then chop after they're cooked. Do as I say, not as I do.

2. Cook veggies in a grill pan until lightly charred, about 10 minutes. Let cool, and then chop in bite-sized pieces.

3. Meanwhile, add vegetable broth and couscous to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer for about 12 minutes, or until couscous has absorbed broth. Fluff with a fork.

4. In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and garlic.

5. In a large bowl, combine vegetables and couscous. Add dressing and combine thoroughly. Stir in basil and parsley.

6. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.

2 comments:

theUngourmet said...

I used Israeli CousCous for the 1st time recently. I loved it! Your salad is fabulous with those yummy grilled veggies!

Heather S-G said...

Oh, it's so pretty...looks delicious :D