Sunday, December 28, 2008

Jumbo Chocolate-Toffee-Cream Cheese Muffins

These are my favorite muffins in the whole wide world. Which is kind of like choosing your favorite child, but hey, we’re only human.

I created this recipe after testing several jumbo chocolate chip muffin recipes, but something was missing. I decided it was cream cheese, because I love the combo of cream cheese with semisweet chocolate). I needed something to sprinkle on top, so I tried chocolate-covered toffee bits. And then threw some in the batter for good measure. (It was a very wise decision.)

The hubby dislikes muffins in general, but he devours these. The batter isn’t dry in the least, and it’s chock full of chocolate chips, chocolate-covered toffee, and chunks of cream cheese. These are certainly part of a healthy, complete breakfast. The hubby prefers his warm, so the chocolate chips are melty. I prefer mine cold, so the cream cheese taste is more assertive. To-may-to, to-mah-to, it’s all good.

Jumbo Chocolate-Toffee-Cream Cheese Muffins
Makes 6-9 (I usually get 9)

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ c. butter, softened
1 egg at room temperature
½ c. plus 1/3 c. milk
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1¾ c. flour
½ c. sugar
½ c. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2/3 c. chocolate chips
½ c. Heath or Skor bits, plus more for sprinkling

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Using a mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla. (Leave the mixture a bit chunky so your cream cheese stays chunky in your muffins.)

It’s rather lumpy and unattractive, I know. Kind of how I feel after all that holiday eating.

3. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt.

4. Make a well in the flour mixture and add cream cheese mixture. Stir until just combined. Add chocolate chips and ½ c. chocolate-covered toffee bits.

5. Place liners in jumbo muffins tins. Spoon batter into liners until they’re about ¾ full. Sprinkle tops with additional toffee bits.

6. Bake 20-25 minutes until muffins are golden and a toothpick comes out clean.

7. Let muffins cool in pans about 5 minutes before removing. Then let cool on cooling rack.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look awesome as do all your recipes. I shall try this recipe this weekend!

prairie dog said...

is softened butter and cream cheese the same as room temp, and why does the egg need to be at room temp?

angelinthekitchen said...

Excellent questions. Room temp is preferable for softened butter and cream cheese, but I'll admit that mine don't always get quite there. (But that's what I shoot for.)

When you're baking, especially when you have butter or another fat at room temp, having the egg at about the same temp allows the butter and egg to emulsify. This helps the muffin or cake rise properly and have the right texture. (A cold egg can sort of curdle or separate from the room temp butter, which can make your muffins and cakes flat and heavy.)

I usually run my eggs under warm water for about 20 seconds because I constantly lack the forethought to take them out of the fridge beforehand.

Anonymous said...

I have had these, prepared by the lovely Angel, and I feel privileged! Glad to have the recipe! Also, you're funny! And scientific! Alton Brown should have you on as his muffin consultant or something.
-Sarah

prairie dog said...

finally made these this evening, really good, even from my capabilities, thanks angel