Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Apple Pie

‘Tis the season for apples, and my dad sent a few boxes of fresh-picked apples home for me, along with instructions to please send pie. So apple pie we shall make.

I know most people will disagree with me, but I think the best part of any pie is the crust. Crusts were coveted in my family. Holiday desserts typically consisted of some sort of Sara Lee pie covered in Cool Whip. My mother, Cool Whip addict that she is, would have second thoughts about sharing her stash on a holiday (when the stores were closed), and she would run around the table trying to scoop her Cool Whip back. Then, as we got close to the ends of our respective pieces, she would make another lap around the table to grab the ends of everyone’s crusts. No wonder she’s so skinny.

One of the best things I ever did was marry into a family of people who don’t eat the ends of their crusts. (Or lick the cake batter bowl, but that’s a story for another day.)

So with all this talk about pie crust, I have a guilty admission: I don’t like making it. I’ll do it sometimes when I have the time – Barefoot Contessa’s recipe is a favorite – but I often cheat and use Pillsbury. (Especially on Tuesday nights when I have two hours of work ahead of me and muffins on my mind.) It reminds me of my grandma’s pie crust. And I like to take advantage of the few times, now that I’m an adult, when I can say, “I don’t wanna, so I don’t have to.” So there.

Oh, and the pie has filling. I should probably mention that. The filling is a modified version of a Southern Living recipe, and my dad says this is the best apple pie he’s ever eaten. And if my dad says it, it HAS to be true.

Apple Pie
Serves 8

Pastry for a 2-crust pie
6 c. peeled, chopped apples
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
½ c. sugar
½ c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
½ tsp. cinnamon
A few dashes grated whole nutmeg
2 Tbsp. butter
Sugar, for sprinkling over crust

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place bottom crust in 9” pie plate.

2. Combine apples and lemon juice. Combine sugars, flour, and spices. Toss gently with apples.


3. Spoon filling into crust, dotting with butter.

4. Top pie with remaining crust. Fold edges under and crimp. Cut slits in the top and sprinkle with sugar.

5. Cover edges with foil. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 50 minutes. Cool before serving.

Again, no picture of the inside. I need to start baking stuff that I get to eat.

No comments: