Friday, September 26, 2008

Grilled Chicken Fajitas

Aren’t I creative with my recipe names?

This fajita marinade is my favorite, and I use it often on both chicken and steak. I actually prefer the steak version, but the chicken was healthier and handier. (It was late, I was in my jammies, the chicken was in the kitchen while the steak was all far away in the garage freezer … stay tuned for more confessions of a lazy cook!)

The marinade is a yummy combo of garlic, soy sauce, lime juice, and a few other elements that add flavor and kick. As an added bonus, my friend Jenn sent me some fresh garlic that she grew with her very own hands in her very own garden. So I had delectable fresh garlic and fresh veggies to work with.

I typically grill the chicken outside, but I encountered a mighty wind on my way home from work, so we threw the chicken on the grill pan, instead. You can either grill the onions and peppers or cook them in a frying pan.

Grilled Chicken Fajitas
Serves 4

Marinade
¼ c. lime juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. liquid smoke
½ tsp. cayenne
¼ tsp. black pepper

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken
1 onion, sliced
2 bell peppers, cut in thin stripis
2 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. soy sauce
½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Flour tortillas
Lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and other toppings


1. Combine marinade ingredients. Add to chicken in a resealable bag. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.

2. Remove chicken from marinade. Cook chicken on grill or grill pan until cooked through.

3. Meanwhile, cook onions and peppers in frying pan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until peppers are softened and onions start to brown. Remove from heat.

4. Combine water, 1 tsp. soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ½ tsp. lime juice, and salt and pepper. Pour over onions and peppers.

5. Slice chicken in thin strips and serve on tortillas with onions, peppers, and toppings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You, too, could grow your own garlic! Or I could continue to be your supplier. Glad it didn't taste like water chestnuts.